Blawg Review

It's not just a blog carnival; it's the law! ~ a fool in the forest

Arranging Deck Chairs


As I toured the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, Nova Scotia, this weekend on the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, along with many others I wondered what it must have been like for those passengers and what I'd have done that night.

I love to travel, you know, so it's not inconceivable to me to have been on the Titanic. I do enjoy cruises. I'm not wealthy by any means, so I'd not have been on the upper deck with the rich and famous. I might have found myself among the middle class travelers, having somehow cleverly negotiated an upgrade from my steerage class ticket. I most certainly would not have had one of those exclusive deck chairs with my name on it!

As it's my nature to help others before myself, I probably would have assisted some to board the few available lifeboats--women and children first, old man. Then I would have seized the opportunity to enjoy what little time left on this fabulous adventure that is life and grabbed myself one of those comfortable deck chairs reserved for the most well-to-do of the first class passengers who had paid extra to go in style.

Reports of my demise might appear on the blogs a hundred years later, where it would be noted that I had last been seen arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, as the band played on.