Blawg Review

It's not just a blog carnival; it's the law! ~ a fool in the forest

Sabbatical

After 291 weeks without a break, Blawg Review is on sabbatical until the new year. Get the picture?


This post may be updated from time to time during my sojourn, if as and when there's a connection to the world wide web. Hope you're all here when I get back. All the best, Ed.

Some might be wondering what's with the backpack. Typically, I travel with a Brookstone Dash Rolling Office, which I've converted into an ultralight hardcase carry-on by removing the dome-fastened file dividers. But for this trip, I'm traveling with some interesting gear in an unusual backpack.

The Osprey Kode 30 is a winter sports backpack, specifically designed to accommodate skis and snowboards. What makes it the all-seasons backpack of choice for me? There are many things I really like about the Kode 30, but the key feature is that it opens wide like a suitcase, providing easy access to all the gear in the main compartment. Clothes are compressed in a Sea-to-Summit compression sack, as is the bedroll that includes an Outdoor Research bivy, an ultralight MEC Equatorial sleeping bag, Lifeventure silk mummy liner and matching silk pillowcase. I've got an ultralight ThermaRest Neo air mattress.

Clothes are light, wicking, high-tech fabrics, designed for adventure travel. I packed three pairs of black ExOfficio underwear, two white ExOfficio Reef-runner shirts, one pair of REI Adventure pants, and a Patagonia bathing suit that can be worn as shorts, as well. I didn't forget my Tilley Airflo hat. I have a Marmot Precip Jacket and pants, and a microlight REI breeze jacket. I packed three pairs of wool hiking socks of various styles by Fox River. Hiking and water shoes are Salomon Techampibian and Columbia Blackfin. Off the beaten path, I didn't pack my Fudellos.

For this trip, I packed a Steri-pen Journey for water purification, and well-designed Kor One hydration vessels manufactured in Mexico, but sold only in the USA, Canada, and Australia. I also brought ultralight dry sacks by Outdoor Research and Eureka! I packed a Pocket Towel by Sea-to-Summit, and a bug-net jacket!

Technology-wise, I travel with an Acer Aspire 1410 ultraportable notebook computer, an unlocked iPhone 4 that I bought from Apple Canada and a BlackBerry Bold 9780. Backup power supply for both smartphones is Mophie's Juice Pack Powerstation. Headphones, chargers, adapters and all sensitive electronics are protected from moisture by a LOKSAK.

I stay connected with Motorola Talkabout but the most interesting technology on this adventure is the Spot GPS. If you'd like to track the editor of Blawg Review, click on this link to spot Ed.